Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Jay Reatard


Jay Reatard(space) + Digger & The Pussycats & Cut Sick & The Focus & UV Race(YouTube)
The Tote, Mon 10/3/08, $27

A laid back labour day saw myself and a friend check out some acts at the Tote. I was expect it to be hot and sweaty but luckily it wasn’t too bad due to the cool breeze.

Out of the line up I managed to catch the Focus, Digger & The Pussycats and the headliner Jay Reatard. Didn’t mind the focus, sounded like something between a pacey punk band with a touch of indie sounds. Digger & The Pussycats are a two piece with one on guitar and the other standing up playing a drum kit. From what they said they’ll be finishing up soon, my mate said it may be due to moving and the rock n roll lifestyle taking its toll on the band.

I hadn’t heard much about Jay Reatard, so I didn’t really have any expectation. Only really had heard a little that they were featured on RRR radio or PBS as ‘Blood Visions’ has recently been released in Australia. They came across to me being really fresh and tight, reminding me of punk back in the early nighties. They had a great stage presence with there big hair and also (I didn’t see this, but was brought up by my mate) they kept spitting on the crowd.

No comments: