Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Deerhoof + Calvin Johnson & the crayon feilds

E2E4, North Melbourne, Sunday 12/02/2006

Found a very small add for this gig under a larger add for the main act, Deerhoof.

This was set in warehouse (E2E4), which now is a bar, artist space, studio, come outside indoor place, which should have the roof open, due to the heat the was being generated by people and weather. Nice stencils and street art going up the stairs.

My highlight for this little show case was the crayon fields, fiiting into that whole indie/pop/guys in a band thing thats been around for a while. Good people for sitting still and not dancing(not that dancing is a bad thing - read on further).

Then came Calvin Johnson, didn’t get me going, but the crowd seemed focused on his performance. On a add for his album in inpress it has a quote from the age “As far as indie heroes go, they don’t come more heroic as Calvin Johnson” which kind of confuses me as it didn’t happen for me today.

Missed the next band, maybe there wasn’t even one as I found some food down the road in North Melbourne. Deerhoof came on with there distinct instrumental sound with a peppering of vocals, but what everyone standing up, I can’t see!!! No stage?!?!?! Don’t understand Deerhoof’s website, they have mp3’s to sample but to me it doesn’t look as straight forward as other sites.

No comments: