Sunday, November 20, 2005

GIG: THE KITS + THE BLACK POPES

Saturday 19th November 2005

OSTERBERG + THE KITS + THE BLACK POPES at The Rob Roy, Fitzroy

If you were writing an add for the Rob Roy Band Room you’d probably write something like “its small but cozy”. It’s a room that probably wasn’t built to be used as a band room due to some obstructions like the large door way near the stage and a pillar in the middle (like the Corner). But the Rob Roy does play an important part as it’s a great venue for showcasing up and coming bands.

Tonight’s show was a ep release of a band called Osterberg but I was there to see The Kits, lucky for me there were number two and I left after them (not very rock’n’roll).

First up was The Black Popes who played some pop/rock tunes that reminded me of a softened Marvelous 3.

After a fairly long intermission with some exceptionally slow music, that nearly made my better half and me fall asleep standing up, The Kits came to the stage. There music reminded me of early 90’s grunge, plus a hint of currant bands such as the Hives and The International Noise Conspiracy (or even old New Bomb Turks on their !!Destroy-Oh-Boy!! LP). All importantly The Kits got a bunch of people (well a bunch of girls) dancing up the front.

Links:

OSTERBERG website has mp3's but you have to sign up.

The kits website has 2 mp3's, 'City to City' and 'Young Girls'.

I couldnt find a link or website to the Black Popes.

No comments: